Skeet Shares
stuff I find interesting
Thursday, December 14, 2006
Feeling safe at home
I had a recent scare when an intruder walked into my home one evening. My dogs chased him away, so I was very fortunate that time. I’ve become more conscientious about locking my deadbolts since then, and I started shopping for outdoor security lighting the next day. I still feel vulnerable, but didn’t want to install an expensive Security System in a home that I’ll probably be selling in the next year or so. Now I’ve found out that there’s a more effective approach. LaserShield is a portable system that’s easy to set up and will provide the 24/7 monitoring that I want. The keychain remote alarm and activator will allow me to arm and disarm the system as I come and go, and it can be configured so that the dogs won’t be triggering false alarms. I can take it with me when I move, and the system is expandable, so I can add to it if my new place is bigger. LaserShield is available at CompUSA, Kmart, Home Depot and other national retailers as well as online.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:
Blogger TW said...
Hey, that is kind of cool. Now that the teens are in and out and more out than in and the dogs are aging, I worry sometimes.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I worry sometimes too. Piper's not a very good attack cat.

My plan is to yell out (if taken unaware and can't get out/to a phone/both/etc) "I HAVE AN ATL-ATL AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!" I'm hoping it will confuse them long enough for me to get out. A girl can hope right?

Blogger Pepper said...
Will it work in a RV? I think I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Blogger DirkStar said...
Was it just a drunk?

Sometimes the drunks just have jno idea where they are...

Blogger skeet said...
I think it was probably a drunk or a druggie who stumbled into the wrong house. That doesn't lessen the feeling of invasion, though, or the thought that I was very, very lucky it wasn't someone determined to do me harm. I had left myself wide open to such types. So now it's half-past noon and my deadbolts are shot home, my gate is padlocked and I'll still dash to a front window every time the boys bark. And I hate living this way, but am not likely to go back to my more relaxed former state.

Blogger skeet said...
Pepper, the system requires hardwiring to a phone for the monitoring. I'm not sure if there's a way to do that through a cell phone, but I'm thinking not. You might want to submit the quesiton to the tech folks there & see if it's adaptable to your situation.