Skeet Shares
stuff I find interesting
Wednesday, December 6, 2006
I'm annoyed.
Does anyone else hate those built-in zippers that are inside so many food packages these days? You know, you cut along a dotted line above the zipper. After you remove a portion of the product, you should be able to zip the bag closed to preserve what's left, right? The Tupperware that's never the right size or shape stays stored away but you've got a sealed-tight container to keep your goodies fresh. That's the principal of course. Have you ever gotten one to work? Is it just me?

There's a large bag of dog biscuits sitting in my pantry. Very large, and it's still got too many biscuits in it to fit in any of my Tupperware. So it's sitting in there, gaping, and probably letting weevils come in and out so they can get in everything nearby (because I always seem to bring home dog biscuits that look perfect in the store but start crawling within twenty-four hours of being stored near my cereal and pasta.)

This evening I opened a brand new five-pound bag of rice. It's got the zipper in its side, about two inches from the top seam of the bag. The only way to zip it is to lay it on the counter, flatten it around the zipper, being very careful not to let a single grain of rice or even a tiny speck of rice dust get in the zip area, and run a finger along the outside of the bag. Can you do that? I fooled with that blasted thing until I had to stop so the feds wouldn't think I'd destroyed my fingerprints on purpose. It is now duct-taped closed. Tomorrow I'll get in the storage area beneath the lanai steps and see if I can find Tupperware that is properly configured to hold five pounds of rice without taking up half of the space in my pantry.

You know, if they can put a man on the moon ...

Labels:

5 Comments:
Blogger DirkStar said...
I HATE THOSE THINGS!

Great post. Weevils is one of my favorite words and I thought no one else ever used it.

I love coming here...

Cough...

I have to go now,I'm sick and if whim finds me up and out of bed it could get ugly.

Blogger skeet said...
Dirk, you do know that I'm a pest control operator, right? Or maybe not, as I've never blogged any specifics about my job. I tossed those biscuits in the freezer when I brought them home, but the bag was so big I left it there less than a day. Forty-eight hours will kill off the wildlife. How's the cold?

Blogger nelle said...
I hear ya... the things rarely work, sometimes tear below the zipper, etc.

Blogger whimsical brainpan said...
Those things are the bane of my existance! Well, one of them anyway.

Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...
LOL....I remember a while back, my hubs came home with this ENORMOUS bag of rice and I just shrieked WEEVILS! and he looked at me like I was a freak because he hadn't grown up watching Brige of the River Kwai and so on.