Skeet Shares
stuff I find interesting
Thursday, January 4, 2007
It's smokey out tonight
It's midnight. A firetruck just came down the street. There have been at least three flare-ups of our New Year's Day fire today. The problem is the keawe trees. They're kin to mesquite, that stuff that burns long and slow in your barbecue pit. They can appear to be soaked and completely extinguished while the fire still smoulders within. They have thick sturdy roots, and it's not unusual for smoke seeping out of the group to be the first clue that the tree is still burning underground.

Earlier today when I went to the post office I stopped beside the firetruck that was being reloaded with equipment after the afternoon hot-spot battle. I thanked all of the firefighters and we shared a little gallows humor about how well they know our neighborhood. The evening news reported that there were six other fires on our coast today. The captain of the crew I spoke with today was being interviewed. He looked exhausted. He said all of the recent fires are believed to have been started with fireworks.

It's still very windy. The fire could literally move right up to our homes within minutes under these circumstance. I'm sure I won't be the only one who doesn't get much sleep tonight. Hard to do when you've got your ears tuned and one eye open.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:
Blogger Judy said...
Thinking of you, Skeet.

Our morning sky is a blazing orange and pink - beautiful, but after reading your post I imagine it as fire and what that would mean.

God bless your fire-fighters.

Blogger DirkStar said...
Yeah, that's why I'm checking back too.

Be careful!

If things get too bad you can come stay here..

Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...
Wow...scary.
It rarely gets dry enough here..but BC has had some horrific forrest fires in the last couple of years.

Blogger Unknown said...
I will say extra prayers for you and everyone in the area tonight!

Blogger whimsical brainpan said...
I'm so sorry.

I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Aloha! I was trying to find the Hawaii part of the PPP forum but gave up and thought perhaps you could send a link? Oh and I know what you mean about the wind right not in Ewa it is knocking things over in my home... More work for Roomba..