Skeet Shares
stuff I find interesting
Sunday, February 4, 2007
I chose pepper spray


It's amazing how often I find guns in the attics of homes I inspect. Homeowners buy them for protection. Their kids get old enough to find where the guns are hidden, so Mom and Dad decide to consign them to the attic. I guess they're thinking that they can always get the gun out if they need it. I certainly wouldn't count on that. If you need a gun, you need it now. You don't have time to drag out a ladder and serach behind the the Christmas decorations in the attic. A gun stored out of reach is no good to you. Call your local police department and find out how to get rid of it safely. Then think about other ways to feel safe at home.

I chose pepper spray. I had an intruder a few months ago. I filed a police report after my dogs chased the man away. The officer I spoke to understood how frightened I was, and that I no longer felt safe in my own home. He recommened either a stun gun or pepper spray. A stun gun can only be used with direct contact, so I chose mace pepper spray for my own safety. I'd much rather stop an intruder before he is close enough to touch.



I'm very fortunate to live in a state where both stun guns and pepper spray are easy to get. Some states and municipalities make them harder to purchase than firearms. I feel more secure at home now, because I know I can stop any future intruders. My pepper spray is portable and lightweight, so I can take it with me when I'm working. Feeling safer while I go about my day-to-day routine, I'm better able to focus on getting my job done and enjoying life. Check out Brickhouse Security, where you'll find non-lethal personal security solutions starting at around twenty dollars. That's not much at all to pay for peace of mind.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...
Being the clutz that I am I'd spray myself right in the eye, I know it.

Blogger Pepper said...
Jolie told me about my car alarm. Since I sleep close to the front door I keep the car keys close at hand. If someone jiggles the door handle I will press the car alarm. As sad as it is most people will ignore screams but they can't seem to ignore the car alarm. I haven't used it yet but I keep it close by.

Blogger Allan said...
Guns...brrrr.

Blogger skeet said...
The most popular items that people leave in attics when they move (arroding to my experience) in order: Christmas ornaments, baby furniture and guns. Even people who have guns don't want them. There were three in the attic when we moved Dad out of the house I grew up in. No one had thought about them for years. He also had scads of ammo in that hot New Orleans attic. Yikes!

Whim, I worry about ever having to use it on a windy day. But, you know, if I really felt I needed to use it, I'd take the chance.

Pepper, that's a neat trick. As far as audible alarms at home, my furkids drove off the bad guy last time, but pressing the car alarm button would work for me in, say, a mall parking lot or some of the bad neighborhoods I sometimes work in. Mahalo for the tip.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
If you choos pepper spray, make sure you get the right product. tear gas doesn't work as well. Pure pepper is the best choice, look for OC on the canister or label. Even if you spray on a windy day, you will be running quickly away, so it won't hurt you. Always aim for the face and head area since you won't be able to shoot directly into the face in a panic situation. Always check the expiration date of the spray, it's usually good 2-3 years.